It’s that time again!
A quick recap for those of you who don’t know about GIG and GIG Spotlight. GIG stands for Girls Inspired Group; a group where female bloggers can get together (virtually) and share their posts, find new blogs and share blogging tips. If you want to find out more about GIG and join us, you can do that on our Facebook page or read the Official Blog.
Every fortnight, GIG runs their Spotlight competition, which gives bloggers the chance to write on a specific theme. At the end of the competition, GIG founders choose the best post and the winner gets their blog featured across the GIG blog, Facebook page and Twitter for the week.
So, without further ado, here is my entry!
The theme of the Spotlight is What’s Your Fashion Statement? and, as I have mentioned before, I’m not a fashion blogger, or exactly ‘in’ fashion for that matter. However, what I can blog about is what to wear to survive a British winter!
As any UK resident will know, or in fact anyone who has paid us a visit, that the weather is anything but predictable! It can be bright sun one minute then chucking it down or even snowing five minutes later – and it’s like this all year round! I think I have finally managed to nail the ideal wardrobe that is packed with the staples necessary to survive the British year in a relatively fashionable manner.
So, here are the necessities that any Brit should have in there wardrobe:
- Jumpers – my wardrobe is crammed full of these! I love knitwear! And, in the UK, they come in handy ALL year round! Even in the summer there are plenty of cold and wet days and evenings can get chilly so I love a big woolly jumper to pull over what I am wearing and keep me cosy. I always buy jumpers one or two sizes too big to make them nice and baggy so they are comfy but also so they can fit over lots of layers in winter!
- Shoestring vests – I also have hundreds of these in all sorts of colours. I love these because you can wear them with anything in summer but you can also wear them up in winter under those cosy jumpers!
- Wedge trainers – these are a new obsession of mine but I can’t get enough of them. They are super comfy and look great with jeans or leggings; another item that can be worn all year round!
- A jacket – what did I say about British summers? Trust me, you’ll need one to hand!
- Leggings – another one that my wardrobe is full of. I have so many pairs of leggings stashed away that I wear in winter with jumper-dresses and shorts and in summer with dresses.
- Shorts – I honestly wear shorts more in winter with leggings than in summer without. But, on the odd day when there is actually some sun it is useful to have some to hand!
So it looks like my fashion statement is true to me; a practical one. However, with these fashion staples lurking in my wardrobe in various forms I am equipped for a year full of fashion matching with almost endless combinations!
- GIG Spotlight #2 Fashion Tag: What’s Your Fashion Statement? (girlsinspiredgroup.com)
- GIG Spotlight Beauty Tag Winner (girlsinspiredgroup.com)
- What’s Your Fashion Statement? (ilovegreeninspiration.com)
- What I Want in my Bag – 2013! (hannahackroyd.wordpress.com)
- What I’m Wearing this Winter – Sale Savy Shopping (hannahackroyd.wordpress.com)